Westerfeld, Scott. UGLIES. New York: Simon Pulse, 2005. Print.
The five elements that I think are relevant in that book are: conflict, suspense, immediacy, setting and characters.
And for me, in order of importance, the elements are: the conflict(s), then the characters, the suspense, the immediacy and the setting.
The conflict is very used in that story because there are at least two ways to think. The mains characters think in two different ways and I think that the author tells it very well by showing their two different points of view. Even though they don't fight, this conflict create a tension between them and we don't know how it might end.
""Oh, that's right," Shay said. "A couple of months and we'll be stuck inside the river. Pretty and boring."
Tally snorted. "I don't think it's exactly boring, Shay."
"Doing what you're supposed to do is always boring. I can't imagine anything worse than being required to have fun."
"I can," Tally said quietly. "Never having any."
"Listen, Tally, these two months are our last chance to do anything really cool. To be ourselves. Once we turn, it's new pretty, middle pretty, late pretty." Shay dropped her arms, and her board stopped drifting. "Then dead pretty."
"Better than dead ugly," Tally said." (Westerfeld 49-50)
In that quotation, it is obvious that there is a conflict and a different way to see things. This conflict makes the story and the end will depend on which side the author decides to take.
The conflict is very used in that story because there are at least two ways to think. The mains characters think in two different ways and I think that the author tells it very well by showing their two different points of view. Even though they don't fight, this conflict create a tension between them and we don't know how it might end.
""Oh, that's right," Shay said. "A couple of months and we'll be stuck inside the river. Pretty and boring."
Tally snorted. "I don't think it's exactly boring, Shay."
"Doing what you're supposed to do is always boring. I can't imagine anything worse than being required to have fun."
"I can," Tally said quietly. "Never having any."
"Listen, Tally, these two months are our last chance to do anything really cool. To be ourselves. Once we turn, it's new pretty, middle pretty, late pretty." Shay dropped her arms, and her board stopped drifting. "Then dead pretty."
"Better than dead ugly," Tally said." (Westerfeld 49-50)
In that quotation, it is obvious that there is a conflict and a different way to see things. This conflict makes the story and the end will depend on which side the author decides to take.
No comments:
Post a Comment